If you don’t consume milk and milk products (for whatever reason), that does not mean you are now dependent on soy milk. While it is good for cappuccino, as you get the best foam with soy milk, the taste has still room for improvement. In most supermarkets in addition to soy milk, you find a small selection of other plant milks, such as rice-, oat-, coconut- or almond milk. Depending on the brand, they taste different, mostly because they add sugar, salt or other things.
But if you have little time, fun experimenting and want to know what is in your milk (like me ;-)), just make it yourself!
My first experiment with plant based milk was almond milk (I am allergic to almonds so I use sweet apricot kernels as a substitute. In my opinion you can see and taste no difference). And I can tell you, it tastes soo great! You should definitely give it a try!
These are the ingredients:
- 1 cup almonds (or apricot kernels)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- a pinch of sea salt
- 4 dates (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla or cinnamon (optional)
And here’s my video how to make it:
- Soak almonds or apricot kernels overnight (8-12 hours) in plenty of water.
- Drain almonds, rinse briefly and place in the blender.
- Add water (use less water, if you like it thicker or more if you like it thinner)
- Blend about 1-2 minutes at highest speed.
- Add dates, vanilla and sea salt and blend again for about 1 minute.
- Now place a nut milk bag into a bowl and fill in the mixture.
- Lift the bag a little and press the bag firmly until no more milk comes out.
- Et voilà! Pour the milk out of the bowl into a pot and place in the refrigerator (keeps for about 3 days)
Meeeega delicious, I tell you! Give it a try!