It goes slowly towards winter, the first sunday of advent will be at the end of this month and Christmas is near. And of course I love to make sweet treats during this time of the year. Honestly, I get nervous in October and can’t wait that it is finally cold enough to start baking cookies, etc. And it is quite easy to do this in a healthy way. How to do this, I will show you (starting today) every week until Christmas with a new sweet and healthy recipe. So watch out!
Today I start with a wonderful fruitcake recipe for you. And it is really one of the best recipes I have ever made! Sooo good! Packed with fiber, valuable unsaturated fatty acids and much more and of course gluten free, sugar free and vegan. So go ahead and bake one, you will not regret it :-)
Here is the ingredients list:
- 500 g dried fruit (e.g. plums, soft figs, soft apricots, raisins)
- 150 g of apple sauce
- 1 small orange (zest + juice)
- 100 g almonds
- 100g chestnut flour
- 150 g nuts (whole or coarsely chopped, for example walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, 50g each)
- 1 pinch of ground ginger
- 1 pinch of cardamom
- 1 pinch of clove
- Soak dried fruit for 30 minutes in apple sauce and orange juice.
- Meanwhile, grind 100 g almonds into a meal and mix with all the remaining dry ingredients.
- Then pour everything together (including the soaked fruits) and knead well.
- I normally make two small fruit breads that need to bake for 40 min at 200°C (top / bottom heat). If you want to make one big fruit bread, adjust baking time to 50-60 min at 200°C (just keep an eye on it the last 10 minutes so the bread doesn’t turn black).