Kale again – I know!! But I just love it and in Germany it is only in season from November-February, so I want to cook it as often as possible now! My suggestion: just join the kale-love it is so worth it! A good start would be today’s kale soup.
It is a soup you desire, when you come back home after an hour-long walk in the cold, because it is so nice and warm and pampers you with its great, creamy taste. For the „Creaminess“ I added potatoes and chickpeas to accompany the kale and the three are really good friends!
I would say, you have to try this!
And here’s how:
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or margarine
- 2 large handfuls of kale (without stems)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (canned)
- 3/4 liter of water
- 2 tbsp (homemade) vegetable stock
- some rice milk
- First, cut the onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes in a pan with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Then add the chopped potatoes and another tbsp coconut oil to it and fry for 5 minutes. Better stir constantly, because the potatoes stick to the bottom of the pot quickly.
- Then add the kale, stir once and then add a 3/4 liter of boiling water. Add vegetable stock (or 3/4 liter of vegetable broth instead)
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, then add the chickpeas and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until the potatoes are done.
- Remove the pan from the heat and blend with an immersion blender until nice and smooth.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and dilute (if necessary) with some rice milk.
- Bring to a boil again briefly, optionally add a few chickpeas (or also a few potatoes, if you want to save some out of the pot before pureeing). That’s it.