A good guest brings a little present, right? And if the hosts make something so delicious and complex from the Jerusalem-cookbook of Ottolenghi and Tamimi (which I absolutely still have to buy !!), then it must be something suitable! Best something with dates, cocoa and orange. Hmmmm, what could I make?? Just throw something in the blender and see what comes out …
Aaahhh, brownies!! And yet soo tasty and healthy and without sugar! Terrific! That’s it!!
Here is my recipe:
- 1 cup nuts, crushed / chopped (I had pecans, cashews and almonds)
- 2 cups dates (best are Medjool dates, which are so nice and juicy, otherwise other dates, soaked about 2 hours in water.)
- 3 tablespoons cacao
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey, agave syrup, etc.)
- 1 pinch of salt
- orange zest
- optional: chocolate coating
- First grind the nuts in a blender but make sure they are not too fine.
- Pitt the Dates and add to the blender and mix a bit, until it is a sticky mass.
- Add cacao, maple syrup and salt and rub the orange zest over it (from now on it smells incredibly delicious!!)
- Mix again until everything is a homogeneous, very sticky mass and then smear the mass on a lined baking sheet or baking dish (about 2 cm thick).
- Then put it into the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the tray and cut the mass into pieces (it’s really easy now, because it is frozen) and that’s it.
- If you like, you can now coat the brownies with chocolate, but they already taste amazing without.
- Store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container since they are getting a little gooey when the get warm.