I heard about spaghetti squash for the first time this year. Especially on American blogs I have read about it, but so far I had never seen this kind of pumpkin in Germany. Maybe because I’m such a fan of Hokkaido?
Anyway, one day it was there in front of me and of course I had to buy it!
Special feature of the spaghetti squash is that its flesh is fibrous. And if you bake it, you can afterwards scrape out the flesh with a fork and get spaghetti-like strands. And served with a delicious sauce you get delicious pumpkin pasta!
The squash spaghetti are not as long and thick as real spaghetti, but about 5cm long. And it’s still fun and it tastes really good! Just a different way, to enjoy squash :-)
Since the fibers don’t lie lengthwise but crosswise in the rugby-ball-shaped squash, I cut it into slices and then put it in the oven, since I had read that tip on a blog (you see it vivid in the picture). But you can also just cut it in half lengthwise and then scrape out the flesh crosswise. That’s less work and the squash must only bake about 10 minutes longer.
So, here’s the recipe. I made a sauce with spinach, broccoli and mushrooms, but any other sauce will work just as good:
Ingredients (for 3 people):
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 broccoli
- 5-6 mushrooms
- 2 spring onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut spaghetti squash in slices or in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, sprinkle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash face down on a lined baking tray and bake for 50 or 60 minutes (depending on „sliced“ or „halved“ pumpkin) at 190 ° C (top / bottom heat).
- For the sauce chop spring onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes in olive oil.
- Then cut broccoli into florets, add to the pot and sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes (maybe add a shot of water, so that nothing gets burned).
- Add spinach and let simmer for 2 minutes with the lid closed.
- Then slice the mushrooms and add to the pot, season with salt and pepper, that’s it.
- After 50-60 minutes take out the spaghetti squash from the oven and scrape out.
- Add the „spaghetti“ to the vegetables in the pot, stir and serve.